Tuesday 31 December 2013

Come 2014, I will not...

I have made numerous New Year resolutions in my life. I haven't been able to follow up on a single one, though. But then last year, I promised myself that I would work on my writing. And I must say if it hadn't been for my blog, I wouldn't have kept my promise. B+ helps me to be positive. It's as simple as that. Whatever I have said on my blog in 2013 is not something new. I knew it all along. But sharing those views with other people simply made it easier for me to try and integrate some of those things into my life. I guess it becomes easier to 'pray' once you have 'preached'.

I know it's been too much about me so far, but that's why I am writing a blog. So I don't intend to change it :p

Anyways, whether you make a New Year resolution or not, you definitely want the new year to be a better one. You want to be an improved person. I use B+ to improve myself. Assuming that some people read this (even if just a handful), I thought why not share my New Year Resolution here. So here you go.

Come 2014, I will not.....

As always, we will come back to the 'not' in a little while.

I have this strange habit. Whenever I see someone smoking, be it a friend or a stranger on the street, I fake coughing. Initially, I thought I was this great guy who makes people feel guilty about smoking. I actually felt good about this habit. Then I realized that it was not only the fake coughing that was my reaction to people who smoke. In the back of my mind, I formed an opinion about the person. It wasn't a problem if that person was a stranger but if I knew that person, I talked less and less with him.

The issue here is not whether people should smoke or not. The issue is about how we often react to something that 'we think is wrong'. Things are not black and white. Mostly, they are grey. But we look at them through the eye-glasses of our sense of right and wrong, which makes the grey look like either white or black. These glasses are important for taking our decisions. But should we use the same glasses to take decisions for others. Who are we to judge what is right and wrong for them? And just because their eyes have a different power, so to speak, can we dismiss their glasses as defective?

Let's come back to the not...

Come 2014,

I will not judge people who smoke.
I will not make faces when someone expresses a contrary opinion.
I will not force my opinion on someone else.
I will not judge a person by that one view of his or her to which I do not subscribe.

And on a lighter note:
I will not judge that person (or should I say, persons) who couldn't complete reading this post.

P.S - Happy New Beginnings. As we go into 2014, let us all clean our glasses to ensure that nothing clouds our judgement. B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment